Oregon mall gunman identified as 22-year-old man
PORTLAND, Ore. (KABC) -- The gunman who killed two people at Clackamas Town Center near Portland, Ore., was identified on Wednesday as 22-year-old Jacob Tyler Roberts.
Authorities say he used a stolen assault rifle in Tuesday's shooting spree and was wearing a hockey-style face mask. Clackamas County sheriff's deputies say Roberts had no criminal history.
Police say Roberts had no connection to the two people he fatally shot and wanted to kill as many people as possible. The shooting started around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Clackamas Town Center, which was filled with thousands of holiday shoppers.
The victims were identified as 54-year-old Cindy Ann Yuille, a resident of northeast Portland, and 45-year-old Steven Mathew Forsyth, a resident of West Linn. A third victim, a juvenile, survived the attack and remains hospitalized in serious condition.
Roberts fired dozens of rounds into the crowd. Witnesses said he began shooting at shoppers near the food court until the rifle jammed. Police say Roberts died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, ending the 90 minutes of terror.
A motive for the shooting was under investigation. Authorities are searching Roberts' home and car.
Meantime, a woman who said she was saved by a young man inside the mall joined her hero on "Good Morning America" Wednesday to talk about the horrifying experience.
"Allan [Fonseca] is my hero because he knew what to do. He said that we needed to evacuate. He took me by the hand and he led me down to the counters and down the escalator and out to safety," said shopper Jocelyn Lay. "This was what is amazing to me. He's my hero because he then turned to me [and said], 'Now that I know you're safe, I'm going to go back and help other people.'"
Fonseca, who works at the Lancome counter in Macy's, returned to the mall and evacuated the lower level of the Macy's store, and then went back up to the "shooting floor" to look for his co-workers.
ABC News contributed to this report.
shooting, national news
- Multi-vehicle crash shuts down 405 South 2 min ago
- Paul Walker autopsy results released 8 min ago
- Fatal Baldwin Village fire deemed accident
- Mexican truck with radioactive load stolen
- Mom sought for abducting 3 kids in Palmdale
- Boy, 7, dies following Mid-City shooting
- Human skeletal remains found in Montebello
- Simi Valley neighbors found dead in front yards
- NY train engineer in 'daze' just before crash 42 min ago
- abcnews: 2 skydivers killed in AZ midair collision
- Baby falls out of stroller in wild robbery
- Best high-tech toys for kids this season
- Paul Walker crash seen on surveillance video
- OTRC: Kelly Clarkson new Christmas music video