Oregon mall gunman identified as 22-year-old man
PORTLAND, Ore. (KABC) -- The gunman who killed two people at Clackamas Town Center near Portland, Ore., was identified on Wednesday as 22-year-old Jacob Tyler Roberts.
Authorities say he used a stolen assault rifle in Tuesday's shooting spree and was wearing a hockey-style face mask. Clackamas County sheriff's deputies say Roberts had no criminal history.
Police say Roberts had no connection to the two people he fatally shot and wanted to kill as many people as possible. The shooting started around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Clackamas Town Center, which was filled with thousands of holiday shoppers.
The victims were identified as 54-year-old Cindy Ann Yuille, a resident of northeast Portland, and 45-year-old Steven Mathew Forsyth, a resident of West Linn. A third victim, a juvenile, survived the attack and remains hospitalized in serious condition.
Roberts fired dozens of rounds into the crowd. Witnesses said he began shooting at shoppers near the food court until the rifle jammed. Police say Roberts died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, ending the 90 minutes of terror.
A motive for the shooting was under investigation. Authorities are searching Roberts' home and car.
Meantime, a woman who said she was saved by a young man inside the mall joined her hero on "Good Morning America" Wednesday to talk about the horrifying experience.
"Allan [Fonseca] is my hero because he knew what to do. He said that we needed to evacuate. He took me by the hand and he led me down to the counters and down the escalator and out to safety," said shopper Jocelyn Lay. "This was what is amazing to me. He's my hero because he then turned to me [and said], 'Now that I know you're safe, I'm going to go back and help other people.'"
Fonseca, who works at the Lancome counter in Macy's, returned to the mall and evacuated the lower level of the Macy's store, and then went back up to the "shooting floor" to look for his co-workers.
ABC News contributed to this report.
shooting, national news
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 11 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre