Getaway car found in NYC execution-style murder of LA man
NEW YORK (KABC) -- New York police said Wednesday that they have found the getaway car linked to the execution-style murder of a Los Angeles man.
On Tuesday, investigators released surveillance video of the suspect getting out of a silver Lincoln sedan. The vehicle was found legally parked on a Queens street. It had been rented from Avis in a suburb outside New York, police said.The gunman, wearing a black hoodie, was seen in the video pulling a gun from his pocket. He shot Brandon Lincoln Woodard of Ladera Heights in the back of the head, killing him on a busy street in Midtown Manhattan on Monday.
Police believe he was the target of a professional hit, and now they're trying to figure out why. Police officials in New York are in touch with authorities in Los Angeles.
Police are examining three phones Woodard carried when he flew to New York.
According to ABC News, ballistics from the shooting indicate the same 9-mm semi-automatic pistol was used on Nov. 22, 2009, to fire a volley of 12 shots at a home in Queens. No one was injured in that incident.
Woodard, 31, had been living in Playa Vista, studying to be a lawyer. He was currently enrolled at West Los Angeles School of Law. The Loyola Marymount University graduate was the father of a 4-year-old daughter.
new york, murder, shooting, national news
- Bell corruption trial: Jury reaches verdict 22 min ago
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe 11 min ago
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death 55 min ago
- 'Button-down' Bandit' strikes Corona bank
- Pomona gang member arrested for murder
- Man arrested for Ventura transient's murder
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown 8 min ago
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- 'Sound of Music' actress Eleanor Parker dies 13 min ago
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke