Newtown church evacuated due to threat
NEWTOWN, Calif. (KABC) -- Shattered Newtown residents faced a new shock Sunday when a threat was made against a church, forcing an evacuation.
The St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church was evacuated during a noon service, after a church official alerted parishioners of a credible threat, telling everyone to leave mid-service, according to ABC News.
Approximately 1,000 people were inside the church at the time during one of four memorial services being held in honor of those who were killed in the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Friday.
Witnesses said police entered the church and told parishioners that a threat had been made against the church and the surrounding area and that everyone had to leave immediately.
A group of state troopers carrying assault rifles entered the church's education center next to the church. However, it was determined a short time later that the threat was over.
Brian Wallace, director of communications for the Diocese of Bridgeport, told ABC News that after massacre on Friday, he felt evacuation was a vital precaution to take.
"I don't think any of us could be surprised about anything after what has happened," Wallace said.
ABC News contributed to this report.
newtown school shooting, shooting, school shooting, national news
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnapping
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico 21 min ago
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- S.Korean ferry: Vice principal commits suicide 4 min ago
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Covered California enrolls nearly 1.4M people
59 min ago