Newtown shooting: Bell-ringing ceremony held to honor victims
NEWTOWN, Conn. (KABC) -- A bell ringing ceremony and moment of silence was held Friday morning to honor the victims of last week's school shooting in Newtown, Conn.
Bells across the state will toll 26 times to mark the exact moment of the shooting one week ago. Gov. Dan Malloy called for a moment of silence at 9:30 a.m. ET. The White House has said President Barack Obama will privately observe the moment of silence.
Last Friday, a gunman opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary School, killing six adults and 20 children.
Six more victims will be laid to rest Friday. Six, including substitute teacher Lauren Rousseau, were buried on Thursday. Rousseau's boyfriend, Tony Lusardi III, fought back tears when he was asked to describe the love of his life.
"I want the world to know that Lauren was a great person. She touched the lives of everyone she ever met. Even if you only met her once, you liked her," said Lusardi. "She was a great person and she didn't deserve this. No one deserved this."
The often uncounted 27th victim, the gunman's mother, Nancy Lanza, was quietly memorialized on Thursday. A private service was held in New Hampshire for Lanza, who was shot and killed at her home by her son, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, before he headed to Sandy Hook to commit the second-deadliest school shooting in U.S. history.
In a small town where multiple funerals are taking place each day, where black-clad mourners stand in lines waiting to say goodbye to another child, many are incredibly angry at Nancy Lanza for not keeping her guns away from her son. Authorities have said her son used the guns she kept at their home to carry out the massacre.
The U.S. Postal Service has created an outlet for people wanting to send letters and care packages. Anyone wishing to send condolences can do so to P.O. Box 3700, Newtown, CT 06470
To make a contribution to the Newtown Memorial Fund please visit: www.newtownmemorialfund.org
newtown school shooting, school shooting, president barack obama, national news
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Burbank stabbing leaves 2 in serious condition
- High-speed chase leads to arrests, 5 injuries
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report