John Kerry nominated for secretary of state
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- President Barack Obama on Friday nominated Sen. John Kerry as his next secretary of state. The 69-year-old Democrat is expected to be easily confirmed by his Senate colleagues.
"In a sense, John's entire life has prepared him for this role. As the son of a foreign service officer, he has a deep respect for the men and women in the state department," Mr. Obama said with Kerry at his side.
If confirmed, Kerry would replace Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, who has long stated her intentions to leave early next year. Clinton, who is recovering from a concussion sustained in a fall, did not attend the Roosevelt Room announcement.
"He is not going not need a lot of on-the-job training," Mr. Obama said. "Few individuals know as many presidents and prime ministers or grasp our policies as firmly as John Kerry."
Kerry's nomination marks the first move in a sweeping overhaul of the president's national security team heading into his second term.
Kerry was the Democratic nominee for president in 2004, losing a close election to incumbent George W. Bush. He has served as chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and is a decorated Vietnam veteran who was critical of the war effort when he returned home to the United States. He has represented Massachusetts in the Senate since 1985.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
president barack obama, washington d.c., national news
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete 6 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day
- Vinny Del Negro out as LA Clippers coach
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- LA voters to decide future of marijuana shops
- Jogger sexually assaulted in Santa Paula
- UC hospital workers strike over understaffing
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin 53 min ago
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt 17 min ago
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy
- SF 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50
- 2013 Legacy, Outback recalled for steering issue
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10 53 min ago
- ABC7 Eyewitness News Live Video
10 min ago
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
24 min ago