Fiscal cliff: Lawmakers skeptical about possible deal
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- Lawmakers are growing increasingly skeptical about a possible deal, while anxiety rises as the country lurches toward the so-called "fiscal cliff."
Some believe the most effective plan would be a small-scale patch since time is running out before the year-end deadline.
Even those who believe a deal is possible are not expecting a lot.
Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, said she thinks a patch is the best bet, saying that there's a slim chance of solving the issue in just four days.
Talks to avoid the cliff are set to continue on Thursday. President Barack Obama and Congress are on a short holiday break. Congress is expected to be back at work Thursday and the president will be back in the White House after a few days in Hawaii.
Some Republican lawmakers blame Mr. Obama for the stalemate saying he wants the country to go over the cliff.
Last Thursday, a vote on House Speaker John Boehner's "Plan B" was scrapped. It sought higher taxes on people making over $1 million a year.
If Congress fails to reach any agreement, income tax rates will go up on just about everyone on Jan. 1.
Mr. Obama has scaled back his ambitions for a sweeping budget bargain. On Friday, he called for a limited measure that extends George W. Bush-era tax cuts for most people and staves off federal spending cuts. The president also urged Congress to extend jobless benefits for the long-term unemployed that would otherwise be cut off for 2 million people at the end of the year.
Last week, news emerged that Mr. Obama and Boehner had significantly narrowed their differences. Both were offering a tax cuts for most Americans, an increase for a relative few and cuts of roughly $1 trillion in spending over a year.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
budget, president barack obama, economy, republican party, national news
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate? 40 min ago
- Azusa cheerleader dies from rare lung cancer 50 min ago
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail
- Lancaster pellet gun vandalism: 3 arrested
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics 35 min ago
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Photos: 'Modern Family' home selling for $2.35M
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)