New 2013 road rules for mobile phone users
Before you get behind the wheel, there are new laws of the road to be aware of in the New Year.
Drivers can now text while driving as long as it's done hands-free using voice technology.
It's illegal to use any handheld device while driving in California.
Under a new law, motorists can also prove they have auto insurance by using a smartphone or mobile electronic device.
Illegal immigrants will be eligible to drive legally if they qualify for a new federal work permit program approved by the Obama administration.
Medical facilities are required to inform parents about car seat regulations. In most cases, kids under 8 years of age must be in a safety seat.
Lastly, drivers suspected of DUI will now only be offered to take a blood test if arrested. A urine test will no longer be offered.
legal, national news
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down 57 min ago
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings 46 min ago
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend
- Kaiser Permanente missing info on 49K patients
- 80 pot plants found growing in sign-making biz
- IE student arrested in school vandalism case
- Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $400 million
- Paul Walker crash: 2nd theft suspect surrenders
- OTRC: Ellen DeGeneres reacts to tabloid cover