New 2013 road rules for mobile phone users
Before you get behind the wheel, there are new laws of the road to be aware of in the New Year.
Drivers can now text while driving as long as it's done hands-free using voice technology.
It's illegal to use any handheld device while driving in California.
Under a new law, motorists can also prove they have auto insurance by using a smartphone or mobile electronic device.
Illegal immigrants will be eligible to drive legally if they qualify for a new federal work permit program approved by the Obama administration.
Medical facilities are required to inform parents about car seat regulations. In most cases, kids under 8 years of age must be in a safety seat.
Lastly, drivers suspected of DUI will now only be offered to take a blood test if arrested. A urine test will no longer be offered.
legal, national news
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed 51 min ago
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks