Joe Biden, NRA clash over new gun control proposals
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- Vice President Joe Biden said he would deliver new policy proposals about curbing gun violence to the president by Tuesday. It is part of the White House's efforts to reduce gun violence in the wake of the school shooting in Newtown, Conn.
Biden said he has not finalized his recommendations, but a consensus was emerging over banning assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines and tightening background checks.
Some of the proposals faced opposition by pro-gun groups - most notably the National Rifle Association. A representative from the NRA met with the vice president Thursday afternoon.
The NRA rejected the effort to limit ammunition and dug in on its opposition to an assault weapons ban.
The NRA has said it does not think there should be any new gun laws and that the U.S. should enforce the current ones.
White House officials recognize it is unlikely the NRA will ever fully support measures the Obama administration is pushing.
The vice president, who is leading an administration-wide review of gun safety laws, kicked off his gun violence task force Wednesday in Washington. He met with gun safety groups and those who have survived gun violence.
The effort was spurred by last month's mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, where 20 children and six adults were killed.
Biden also met Thursday with sportsmen's and wildlife interest groups, as well as with representatives from the entertainment industry.
The vice president will be presenting President Barack Obama with recommendations for curbing gun violence. His deadline has been set for late January.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
newtown school shooting, school shooting, president barack obama, national news
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained 19 min ago
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart 48 min ago
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)