Joe Biden seeks video game industry input on guns
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- Vice President Joe Biden is reaching out to the video game industry for input on his task force against gun violence.
The move comes as the White House explores cultural factors that may contribute to violent behavior in response to last month's massacre at a Connecticut elementary school.
Biden, who is leading a task force that will present recommendations to President Barack Obama on Tuesday, met with the National Rifle Association and several other pro-gun groups on Thursday.
His proposals are expected to include mandatory background checks on virtually every gun sale as well as a ban on semi-automatic weapons and ammo clips that hold dozens of bullets.
The NRA rejected such proposals and released a statement after that meeting saying, "We will not allow law-abiding gun owners to be blamed for the acts of criminals and madmen."
It's unclear what the administration is prepared to recommend on how to address the depiction of violence in the media.
In a statement, entertainment groups, including the Motion Picture Association of America, said they "look forward to doing our part to seek meaningful solutions."
Opposition from the politically powerful NRA underscores the challenges that await the White House if it seeks congressional approval for limiting guns and ammunition.
The president has pushed reducing gun violence to the top of his domestic agenda following last month's mass shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., where a gunman slaughtered 20 children and six adults before killing himself. The president put Biden in charge of an administration task force and set a late January deadline for proposals.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
newtown school shooting, school shooting, president barack obama, national news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 19 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Lancaster fight leads to double stabbing 13 min ago
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Calif. bill would ban orcas in SeaWorld shows
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea 33 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will 58 min ago
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
41 min ago