'Dear Abby' advice columnist dies at age 94
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Longtime "Dear Abby" advice columnist Pauline Friedman Phillips has died at the age of 94 after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease, her publicist said.
Phillips died in Minneapolis on Wednesday, Publicist Gene Willis of Universal Uclick said.
The "Dear Abby" column appeared in 1,000 newspapers as far away as Brazil and Thailand.
In her book "The Best of Abby," Phillips commented that her years writing the column "have been fulfilling, exciting and incredibly rewarding. ... My readers have told me that they've learned from me. But it's the other way around. I've learned from them. Has it been a lot of work? Not really. It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else."
Her column had competed for decades with the advice column of Ann Landers, written by her twin sister, Esther Friedman Lederer. While Ann Landers' response was homey and details, Abby's replies were often flippant one-liners.
Phillips' family revealed in 2002 that the newspaper writer had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. By then, Phillips' daughter, Jeanne Phillips, who had helped her mother with the column for years, was the sole author.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
famous death, national news
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Two men arrested in Simi Valley car thefts 6 min ago
- Anaheim fire: House had pack rat conditions
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case 40 min ago
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors
- Unsolved murder mystery revealed in doc
45 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
33 min ago