Lone Star College shooting sparked by fight
HOUSTON (KABC) -- Shots rang out on a college campus in Houston, sending some students running for their lives and others barricaded in classrooms. Two people are now in custody.
Officials at Lone Star Community College say this was not an active shooter incident, but rather a gunfight between two individuals. The shooting happened at the school's north campus between the cafeteria and the library around 12:30 p.m.
"One of the individuals did have a student identification," said Maj. Armando Tello from the Harris County Sheriff's Office.
Tello said during the altercation, a maintenance man and another person were caught in the crossfire. Both were rushed to local hospitals with gunshot wounds. One of the alleged gunmen was also hospitalized with gunshot wounds, and a woman who had a medical condition was also hospitalized.
More than 10,000 students were on campus at the time, and the incident sent the school into lockdown. Some students barricaded themselves in the room they were in, while others ran for cover.
"Three minutes before the gunshots, I had just walked out of the building, and when I walked out, everybody started running out," said student Jasmine Thomas.
A handgun has been recovered. The maintenance man is in stable condition, but the conditions of the others are unclear at this time.
Campus officials say this is the first time an incident like this has happened in 40 years. The campus will reopen Wednesday.
The shooting comes one month after the Newtown, Conn., rampage that killed 26 people.
school shooting, shooting, national news, leslie miller
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Robo-seal pups help patients fight dementia
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- Disney gains rights to 'Indiana Jones' films 2 min ago
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees 16 min ago