Woman sues Match.com for $10M after allegedly being attacked by date
LAS VEGAS (KABC) -- Mary Kay Beckman is a living miracle.
"I shouldn't even be here today, I really do feel better than I ever have," she said.
Seeing the real estate agent today is a far cry from two years ago, when she was beaten senseless.
"There were 10 stab wounds, eight on my physical body, two on my head, and then when the knife broke, there was stomping on my head, so that there was such severe brain trauma and head trauma," Beckman said.
Wade Ridley broke into Beckman's garage in January 2011 and hid there, waiting for her come home. He confessed to police he was in a rage, angry his Match.com dates with Beckman from three months before never worked out. Murder was on his mind.
The next month in Arizona, Ridley stabbed another ex-girlfriend with a butcher knife and machete, killing her.
"I do not believe that online dating is a safe venue for men or women," Beckman said.
Match.com posts a list of safety tips when an online relationship goes offline, including meeting in public and telling a friend.
"It is absolutely not safe," said Beckman's attorney, Mark Segese.
Segese represents Beckman in her nearly $10 million suit against Match.com.
"The basis of the lawsuit is the advertising that is utilized by Match.com, lulling women and men into a false sense of security," Segese said.
Beckman hopes the suit stops online dating dangers.
Ridley was in prison for the attack on Beckman and was also facing a murder charge in Arizona when he killed himself in prison last year.
legal, national news, marc brown
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse 32 min ago
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets 13 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Man barricaded in Whittier apartment building 3 min ago
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts