Casey Anthony files for bankruptcy protection
ORLANDO, Fla. (KABC) -- Casey Anthony, who was acquitted in the murder of her daughter Caylee, has filed for bankruptcy.
Court papers filed Friday in Florida claim she has about $1,100 in assets but owes nearly $800,000. Most of the debt is related to her criminal defense, including half a million for attorney fees and court costs.
The bankruptcy papers list Anthony as unemployed with no recent income. The filing also mentions that Anthony is a defendant in several ongoing civil suits, including one filed by Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez for defamation.
In 2008, Anthony told detectives that her daughter was kidnapped by a nanny named Fernandez-Gonzalez. Investigators found that the woman did not exist, but a Florida woman sharing a name with the fictitious nanny filed suit against Anthony.
Gonzalez said she lost her job and was evicted from her house as a result of Anthony's tale. The two women did not know each other. Anthony later told authorities her daughter had drowned.
On Friday, a Florida appellate court overturned two of Anthony's four lying charges, agreeing with Anthony's attorneys that two of the charges constituted double jeopardy, being convicted or punished twice for the same crime.
Anthony's whereabouts have been kept secret since she was released from state supervision following a year of probation last year for check fraud. She resurfaced a few times over the past year via a leaked video diary and a telephone conversation with Piers Morgan.
The Associated Press and ABC News contributed to this report.
legal, national news
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies 3 min ago
- Target probe focuses on processing centers 58 min ago
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim 4 min ago
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified 2 min ago
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Lancaster woman found dead; sons questioned
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend
- Utah's same-sex marriage ban overturned 15 min ago
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled 32 min ago
- San Jose company recalls sausage products 22 min ago
- Understanding symbols on plastic containers 55 min ago
- Bejo's 'Past' character sometimes unlikeable
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)