Teen shot, wounded at Atlanta middle school
ATLANTA (KABC) -- A 14-year-old student was hospitalized after being shot in the head by a fellow student outside of their middle school on Thursday.
Atlanta police said the wounded student, who was shot in the back of the head, was taken "alert, conscious and breathing" to an area hospital. The shooting occurred outside of Price Middle School, just south of downtown.
Atlanta Public Schools said on its website that the suspect also was a student at Price. The circumstances surrounding the shooting remain unclear. The suspect was taken into custody.
All other students are said to be safe. However, a teacher reportedly suffered minor cuts and bruises.
Students were being kept at the locked-down school some two hours after the shooting but television footage showed some of them being dismissed.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
school shooting, national news
- 4 hospitalized in Fullerton bar stabbing 3 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Gorman brush fire near full containment 52 min ago
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio 55 min ago
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report