Teen shot, wounded at Atlanta middle school
ATLANTA (KABC) -- A 14-year-old student was hospitalized after being shot in the head by a fellow student outside of their middle school on Thursday.
Atlanta police said the wounded student, who was shot in the back of the head, was taken "alert, conscious and breathing" to an area hospital. The shooting occurred outside of Price Middle School, just south of downtown.
Atlanta Public Schools said on its website that the suspect also was a student at Price. The circumstances surrounding the shooting remain unclear. The suspect was taken into custody.
All other students are said to be safe. However, a teacher reportedly suffered minor cuts and bruises.
Students were being kept at the locked-down school some two hours after the shooting but television footage showed some of them being dismissed.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
school shooting, national news
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Boston bombing anniversary disrupted by hoax
- South Korea ferry sinks; 2 dead, 14 injured
- Victim's mother faces murder suspects in court
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- San Pedro Elks Lodge fire may be suspicious
- Murrieta suspect fixated on girls' socks
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- First women move into Army combat jobs
- abcnews: Conjoined twins leave Dallas hospital
- Photos: Boston Marathon bombing - 1 year later
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Ice Cube clarifies Paul Walker comments