Teen shot, wounded at Atlanta middle school
ATLANTA (KABC) -- A 14-year-old student was hospitalized after being shot in the head by a fellow student outside of their middle school on Thursday.
Atlanta police said the wounded student, who was shot in the back of the head, was taken "alert, conscious and breathing" to an area hospital. The shooting occurred outside of Price Middle School, just south of downtown.
Atlanta Public Schools said on its website that the suspect also was a student at Price. The circumstances surrounding the shooting remain unclear. The suspect was taken into custody.
All other students are said to be safe. However, a teacher reportedly suffered minor cuts and bruises.
Students were being kept at the locked-down school some two hours after the shooting but television footage showed some of them being dismissed.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
school shooting, national news
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang 56 min ago
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Robo-seal pups help patients fight dementia
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting 40 min ago
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
49 min ago