Police reassure public after Vegas Strip murder
LAS VEGAS (KABC) -- Despite a fatal shooting and fiery multi-vehicle crash that left three people dead on the Las Vegas Strip Thursday, visitors say they feel safe.
The car-to-car shooting killed aspiring rapper Kenneth "Kenny Clutch" Cherry. He was shot by a gunman riding in a black Range Rover. The gunman was believed to have fired from the passenger seat into Cherry's Maserati.
Cherry's family say he did not live a violent lifestyle.
"He wasn't too much into violence, he's got three kids," said Cherry's cousin Dudy Irvin. "He just had a new baby girl that we just celebrated, not even a month or two ago."
Cherry's Maserati drove through the intersection of Las Vegas and Flamingo boulevards after he was shot and hit a taxicab.
The taxi driver was identified as Michael Boldon. He and his passenger both died after the cab caught fire.
"It's life-changing, life-changing, that's what it is," said Tehran Boldon, Michael's brother. "You lose a brother, you lose a son, it's life-changing."
Las Vegas Metro Police have launched a multi-state search for the Range Rover that fled the scene. The vehicle is described as black with dark tinted windows and dark rims, bearing out-of-state dealer plates.
Police are trying to calm nerves. Thursday's shooting marks the fifth violent incident on the Vegas Strip since December.
"You have to remember 42 million people come to Las Vegas ever single year," said Las Vegas Police Officer Marcus Martin. "That's a lot of people, and the vast majority of them are untouched by an event such as this."
shooting, car crash, national news, leticia juarez
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment 46 min ago
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- VC suspicious death investigation underway
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic 31 min ago
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004 25 min ago
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94 15 min ago
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis