Baby born after parents killed in NY crash dies
NEW YORK (KABC) -- A baby delivered after his parents were killed in a New York hit-and-run crash died early Monday, a community spokesman said.
Nachman and Raizy Glauber were expecting their first child. The 21-year-old newlyweds were on their way to the hospital early Sunday morning when the driver of a BMW plowed into their cab.
The engine of the livery car ended up in the backseat, where Raizy Glauber, who was seven months pregnant, was sitting before she was ejected, said community spokesman Isaac Abraham. Her body landed under a parked tractor-trailer, according to witnesses. Her husband was pinned in the car, and emergency workers had to cut off the roof to get him out, witnesses said.
The Glaubers both were pronounced dead at hospitals. Officials said they died of blunt-force trauma. Their child was delivered via cesarean section. Abraham said the baby died around 5:30 a.m. Monday.
Authorities were still searching for the driver of the BMW and a passenger, who both fled the scene on foot.
The couple was part of a tight-knit community of Orthodox Jews in Brooklyn. Their funerals were held Sunday afternoon.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
unbelievable, car crash, hit and run, national news
- Palmdale boy, 8, may have been tortured
- Cold case: Cadaver dog fails to pick up scent
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Bear cub breaks into a kitchen in Duarte 43 min ago
- Eric Garcetti meets with Mayor Villaraigosa 44 min ago
- Local police officer accused of child molest
- Van Nuys stabbing victim's family speaks out
- UC hospital workers' strike ends after 2 days
- Okla. tornado cleanup slowed by thunderstorms 9 min ago
- abcnews: New Susan Powell video released
- Vote on gay Scouts comes at emotional moment
- Charles Ramsey promised free burgers for life
- SI model accepts local teen's prom proposal
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'
- Pet of the week: Playful terrier-mix Bartleby
33 min ago