Baby born after parents killed in NY crash dies
NEW YORK (KABC) -- A baby delivered after his parents were killed in a New York hit-and-run crash died early Monday, a community spokesman said.
Nachman and Raizy Glauber were expecting their first child. The 21-year-old newlyweds were on their way to the hospital early Sunday morning when the driver of a BMW plowed into their cab.
The engine of the livery car ended up in the backseat, where Raizy Glauber, who was seven months pregnant, was sitting before she was ejected, said community spokesman Isaac Abraham. Her body landed under a parked tractor-trailer, according to witnesses. Her husband was pinned in the car, and emergency workers had to cut off the roof to get him out, witnesses said.
The Glaubers both were pronounced dead at hospitals. Officials said they died of blunt-force trauma. Their child was delivered via cesarean section. Abraham said the baby died around 5:30 a.m. Monday.
Authorities were still searching for the driver of the BMW and a passenger, who both fled the scene on foot.
The couple was part of a tight-knit community of Orthodox Jews in Brooklyn. Their funerals were held Sunday afternoon.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
unbelievable, car crash, hit and run, national news
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case 13 min ago
- 290 missing, 6 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar 57 min ago
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced 18 min ago
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break