Former Oklahoma QB Steve Davis dies in Indiana plane crash
SOUTH BEND, Ind. (KABC) -- Federal investigators identified two crewmen in a private jet that crashed in an Indiana neighborhood Saturday.
Former University of Oklahoma quarterback Steven Davis, 60, and his friend Wesley Caves, a 58-year-old businessman, were the crew aboard the private jet that crashed in South Bend Sunday. Both men were licensed pilots. It was not clear which man was piloting the plane when it crashed.
The plane crashed into three houses near the South Bend Regional Airport. Two passengers - Jim Rodgers and Christopher Evans - were injured, as was a resident of one of the houses.
South Bend Memorial Hospital spokeswoman Maggie Scroope said Monday that Rodgers was in serious condition and Evans was in fair condition. A woman who neighbors said lived in the middle house that was struck, Diana McKeown, was in fair condition.
According to the National Transportation Safety Board, the plane attempted to land twice before it crashed.
Mike Daigle, executive director of the St. Joseph County Airport Authority, said the plane attempted a landing at the South Bend airport about 4:15 p.m., then went back up and maneuvered south to try another landing, but eight minutes later, the airport learned the plane was no longer airborne. He provided no information to indicate if the pilot said the plane was experiencing mechanical trouble.
The cockpit voice recorder was recovered by investigators. The NTSB said the investigation could take up to a year.
In his football career, Steve Davis went 32-1-1 as the Sooners' starter from 1973 to 1975, starting every game of Barry Switzer's first three seasons as head coach. Oklahoma tied Southern California in the second game of the 1973 season, and then ran off 28 straight victories with Davis under center. The Sooners went 11-0 in 1974. They won the national title again the following year after going 11-1.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
plane crash, national news
- 2 dead after car plows into crowd near SXSW
- Malaysia: No debris at spot on China images
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 5
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Mom of wandering boys was supervised by CPS
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- FBI hunting Hawaii for top terror suspect
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons