Former Oklahoma QB Steve Davis dies in Indiana plane crash
SOUTH BEND, Ind. (KABC) -- Federal investigators identified two crewmen in a private jet that crashed in an Indiana neighborhood Saturday.
Former University of Oklahoma quarterback Steven Davis, 60, and his friend Wesley Caves, a 58-year-old businessman, were the crew aboard the private jet that crashed in South Bend Sunday. Both men were licensed pilots. It was not clear which man was piloting the plane when it crashed.
The plane crashed into three houses near the South Bend Regional Airport. Two passengers - Jim Rodgers and Christopher Evans - were injured, as was a resident of one of the houses.
South Bend Memorial Hospital spokeswoman Maggie Scroope said Monday that Rodgers was in serious condition and Evans was in fair condition. A woman who neighbors said lived in the middle house that was struck, Diana McKeown, was in fair condition.
According to the National Transportation Safety Board, the plane attempted to land twice before it crashed.
Mike Daigle, executive director of the St. Joseph County Airport Authority, said the plane attempted a landing at the South Bend airport about 4:15 p.m., then went back up and maneuvered south to try another landing, but eight minutes later, the airport learned the plane was no longer airborne. He provided no information to indicate if the pilot said the plane was experiencing mechanical trouble.
The cockpit voice recorder was recovered by investigators. The NTSB said the investigation could take up to a year.
In his football career, Steve Davis went 32-1-1 as the Sooners' starter from 1973 to 1975, starting every game of Barry Switzer's first three seasons as head coach. Oklahoma tied Southern California in the second game of the 1973 season, and then ran off 28 straight victories with Davis under center. The Sooners went 11-0 in 1974. They won the national title again the following year after going 11-1.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
plane crash, national news
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen 24 min ago
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled 20 min ago
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt 16 min ago
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- Woman assaulted near Pizza Hut in Lancaster
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour