Colo. shooting suspect may plead guilty to avoid death penalty: attorneys
DENVER (KABC) -- James Holmes, the suspected shooter of 82 people in a Colorado movie theater, might plead guilty to avoid a death sentence, his lawyers said Wednesday.
The lawyers said Holmes would plead guilty to serve the rest of his life in prison in order to avoid the death penalty.
At a March 12 hearing, Holmes' attorneys told the judge they weren't ready to enter a plea. The judge then entered a not-guilty plea on Holmes' behalf.
Prosecutors were set to announce within days whether they would seek the death penalty for Homes for the July 20 attack that killed 12 people and injured 70.
Holmes is accused of meticulously planning the assault for months in advance. He allegedly entered a movie theater, threw a gas canister into the crowd and began shooting. He was arrested wearing ballistics gear and a police-style helmet outside the theater. Incendiary devices were found in his apartment, set to blow up if triggered by intruders, ostensibly investigating law-enforcement personnel.
Prosecutors did not say Wednesday whether to accept the potential plea. They will likely consult with victims and their families.
Defense attorneys said a mental health defense was still being considered.
Nearly eight months later, the defense has dropped hints about Holmes' mental state but has given no clear statement on whether he would plead insanity.
Holmes, a former graduate student at the University of Colorado, Denver, had seen a psychiatrist at the school before the shootings.
Last week, his lawyers revealed that he was taken to a hospital psychiatric ward in November because he was considered a threat to himself. Holmes was held there for several days and spent much of the time in restraints.
The judge scheduled the trial to start Aug. 5, setting aside four weeks.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
murder, shooting, national news
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 35 min ago
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous'
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 51 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Kettlebells can help burn calories fast
52 min ago