Obama voluntarily returns 5 percent of salary
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- President Barack Obama is voluntarily giving back five percent of his salary because of automatic spending cuts that are hitting federal workers.
The president makes $400,000 a year. He will return a full $20,000 to the Treasury even though only a few months remain in the fiscal year.
Across-the-board spending cuts mean that hundreds of thousands of government employees could soon be forced to take 14 unpaid days off in the months ahead if Congress does not reach an agreement soon to undo the cuts.
A White House official said Mr. Obama's decision grew out of a desire to share in the sacrifice that government employees are making.
Wednesday's notice followed a similar move a day earlier by Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel, who committed to taking a salary cut equal to 14 days' pay - the same level of cut that other Defense Department civilians are being forced to take.
The cuts were written into a 2011 deficit-reduction measure as a trigger to force future action. The idea was that lawmakers, eager to avert the consequences of bluntly slashing $1 trillion over a decade, would have no choice but to come together to find smarter ways to reduce federal spending.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
economy, budget, president barack obama, national news
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Woman assaulted near Pizza Hut in Lancaster 34 min ago
- 15-yr-old arrested after assaulting IE senior 55 min ago
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour