Lone Star College stabbing suspect in custody
HOUSTON, Texas (KABC) -- A suspect has been taken into custody after stabbing multiple people at a community college in the Houston area. The violent attack happened so fast that some victims didn't know they were hurt until others told them they were bleeding.
The suspect was a 21-year-old student, Sheriff Adrian Garcia said. He was armed with a weapon described as a box cutter or an exacto knife.
Authorities say the building-to-building stabbing attack at the Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus was reported at 11:12 a.m. Thousands of students were holed up in classrooms as the school quickly went into lockdown.
"I didn't feel the cut, but then I heard people screaming behind me where he was running," said one student.
Students said the suspect was seen slashing at people's necks and upper bodies. Of the 14 people hurt, four were transported in fair condition, and two were in critical condition. Two others managed to escape with graze wounds.
"It was the same suspect going from building to building," said Thomas Gilliland of the Harris County Sheriff's Department.
The suspect was tackled by students within minutes. A student told KTRK-TV that he helped take the suspect into custody. The man, identified only as James, said he saw the suspect run out of the building, so he gave chase. When tackled, the suspect sad, "I give up, I give up."
"(The suspect was) wrestled to the ground by a student," Gilliland confirmed.
According to the Houston Chronicle, the suspect said moments after he was arrested that he was trying to go on a killing spree but the blade broke.
A motive has not yet been determined. One student described the suspect as eccentric, a man who often wore gloves, carried stuffed animals and was teased by other students. The suspect's name has not been released.
Three people were injured in a shooting at the north campus of Lone Star College in January. The two incidents were not believed to be related.
stabbing, arrest, national news, miriam hernandez
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Oxnard residents burglarize home
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months