Boston Marathon bombing suspect buried in Virginia
BOSTON (KABC) -- Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev has been buried in a Muslim cemetery in Virginia.
His body was buried at Al-Barzakh Cemetery in Doswell, Virginia with the help of a faith coalition, Tsarnaev's uncle, Ruslan Tsarni said Friday. The cemetery is the first Muslim cemetery in central Virginia.
Tsarni took responsibility for arranging the burial after Tamerlan's widow, Katherine Russell, said she wanted her husband's remains released to his side of the family.
Tsarnaev's body had been kept at Graham Putnam & Mahoney Funeral Parlors in Worcester, Mass. for nearly a week because local cemeteries and several other stated refused to accept the remains.
Peter Stefan, director of the funeral home, said he could not find a community willing to take the body and had received several calls from people criticizing him for his role in the suspect's funeral.
Cemeteries across the Northeast refused to bury the body. Stefan said Cambridge, the city where the suspect had lived for 10 years, also refused.
Tsarnaev's parents refused to fly the remains overseas due to passport problems. His mother said Russia refused to allow his body in the country.
Tamerlan and his brother Dzhokhar are accused of setting off two pressure-cooker bombs near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on April 15. The bombs killed three people, including an 8-year-old boy, and injured approximately 260 others.
Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed in a shootout with police in the days following the bombings. According to his death certificate, Tamerlan Tsarnaev died of gunshot wounds and blunt trauma to his head and torso.
Police have said he ran out of ammunition before his younger brother dragged his body under a car while fleeing the scene.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was captured the day after the shootout which killed his brother. He remains in a prison hospital and faces a potential death sentence if convicted of the terrorism plot.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
explosion, boston marathon bombing, arrest, national news
- Amber Alert issued for Long Beach boy 37 min ago
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 15 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet 54 min ago
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...