New Jersey standoff: 2 bodies found, suspect killed
TRENTON, N.J. (KABC) -- The bodies of a woman and a 13-year-old boy were found after a dayslong standoff in New Jersey. Police say the suspect was killed and three children who were being held captive in the home were rescued.
Police officers surrounded the South Trenton home on Friday after reports that some children hadn't been to school in 12 days. Officers say they entered the home through a back door and smelled an odor consistent with that of a decomposing body.
Officers found 38-year-old Gerald Tyrone Murphy in an upstairs bedroom, and he told them he was armed with a gun and explosives. Authorities retreated from the home, rescuing a 19-year-old from the basement, who said he hadn't seen his mother or sisters since about April 24.
The standoff ended at about 3:45 a.m. Sunday, 37 hours after it began.
At a news conference on Sunday, investigators said officers stormed the house and shot Murphy because he was threatening one of the children in the home. He later died of his injuries.
Authorities found the body of a woman and a 13-year-old boy inside the home. The woman's body was in an advanced state of decomposition, and police said she appeared to have died two weeks ago.
Three of her children - two females, 18 and 16, and a male, 4 - were rescued and taken to an area hospital for evaluation and treatment.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
standoff, hostage, national news
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected 2 min ago
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds