Mother's Day parade shooting in New Orleans injures 19
NEW ORLEANS (KABC) -- At least 19 people were wounded when gunfire broke out at a Mother's Day parade in New Orleans on Sunday.
According to the New Orleans Police Department, the shooting erupted around 1:47 p.m. in the city's 7th Ward. Authorities said many of the 19 victims were grazed by bullets, some that ricocheted, and most of the wounds were not life-threatening. No deaths have been reported.
New Orleans police said 10 men, 7 women, a 10-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl were struck by the gunfire. The boy and girl had graze wounds and are in good condition. One man and one woman were in surgery. Medical conditions were unknown.
It was unclear if particular people in the crowd were targeted, or if shots were random, according to police.
Police saw three suspects running from the scene. One of the suspects was described as an African American male, about 18 to 22 years old in a white T shirt and blue jean shorts. No arrests have been made, and what sparked the shooting is under investigation. Police have vowed to make swift arrests.
The parade was second-line, or a loose procession in which people dance down the street, often following behind a brass band. A social club called The Original Big 7 organized the event. Second-line parades can be impromptu or planned, and are sometimes described as moving block parties.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
mother's day, parade, shooting, national news
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Lancaster woman found dead; sons questioned
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend
- Utah's same-sex marriage ban overturned
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Understanding symbols on plastic containers
- Bejo's 'Past' character sometimes unlikeable
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)