OJ Simpson was advised not to testify in 2008, attorney says
LAS VEGAS (KABC) -- Appearing heavier and his hair a bit grayer than it did five years ago, O.J. Simpson was back in a Las Vegas courtroom Tuesday, once again fighting for his freedom.
The former football star appeared in the same courthouse where he was convicted in 2008 of kidnapping and robbery. There was, however, a small victor for Simpson when the judge agreed it was OK for his left hand to be freed from his handcuffs, so he could drink water and take notes.
Tuesday was the second day of the hearing in which Simpson is asking for a new trial, saying he had ineffective representation during the 2008 trial. He pointed the finger at his own lead defense attorney, Yale Galanter.
Galanter advised Simpson to pass up the chance to testify, his co-counsel testified.
"I could advise O.J. all day long, and he was very respectful of me," Grasso told the court. "But if I advised him of something different from what Yale said, he would do what Yale said."
According to Grasso, Simpson's unwavering confidence in Galanter came about after the acquittal he gained for Simpson in a road rage case in Florida.
Simpson's motion also claims Galanter presented a conflict of interest. He has declined to comment until he takes the stand Friday.
Simpson could take the stand as early as Wednesday.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
court case, national news, rob mcmillan
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 57 min ago
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case 35 min ago
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance 31 min ago
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week 7 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour