Mom chases daughter's abductor for miles through Albuquerque
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KABC) -- A mother in New Mexico took drastic measures to save her 4-year-old daughter after a man kidnapped her Wednesday.
According to police, the girl was playing outside her Albuquerque apartment complex when a man drove up and snatched her.
Kids playing nearby saw what happened and alerted the girl's mom identified as Melissa Torrez.
Torrez says she then jumped in her car.
"My mind went black. I grabbed my keys," said the 27-year-old mother of three. "I just got in my car and I ... went looking for her."
Unaware that the suspect had already pushed her daughter out of the car, Torrez chased the suspect for seven miles.
"I felt like I was flying ... as if I didn't have my soul or something," said Torrez.
During the pursuit, she lost control and accidentally slammed into the suspect's brown Buick.
"I wasn't trying to hit it because I thought my daughter was inside," said Torrez.
The suspect, later identified as 31-year-old David Hernandez, got out of the car and raised his hands but took off running when police arrived.
The 4-year-old girl was spotted and rescued a short time later. She was not hurt. Police believe Hernandez pushed the 4-year-old out of the car "presumably once he noticed Torrez had been notified and was following him."
Police caught up with Hernandez at his construction job Thursday and arrested him following a massive manhunt involving Homeland Security Investigations.
He has since been charged with kidnapping and child abuse.
Authorities are now investigating a possible connection to the abduction and sexual assault of the victim's 6-year-old neighbor last week.
em> The Associated Press contributed to this report.
unbelievable, kidnap, child abuse, pursuit, national news
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours 35 min ago
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service 8 min ago
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search 49 min ago
- Inmate escapes jail hours after sentencing
- Flasher sought for exposing self at Brea Mall
- Norwood pleads not guilty to weapons charge 40 min ago
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- Ex-Manson follower granted parole for 3rd time
- Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- abcnews: Dog's powerful healing effects on wounded... 20 min ago
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- Elderly couple's dog saved by rescue group
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors 53 min ago
- Cool Kid fixes up batting cages for community
25 min ago