Powerball: Single winning ticket sold in Florida
HAWTHORNE, Calif. (KABC) -- The lone winning ticket of the enormous Powerball jackpot Saturday was sold at a supermarket in Florida.
The ticket was the only one sold that matched all the numbers to win the highest Powerball jackpot in history. The winning numbers for the jackpot, which dipped from an estimated $600 million to $590.5 million, were 22-10-13-14-52 with a Powerball number of 11.
One ticket in San Jose and another ticket in city of Taft near Bakersfield matched five of six numbers. Both were sold at 7-Eleven convenience stores.
Officials said an estimated $12 million in tickets were sold Saturday in California alone.
Blue Bird Liquor in Hawthorne had a line out the door, down the street and around the curb Saturday morning as Californians showed up by the droves to try their luck. The shop has produced several winning tickets in the past, and many are hoping some of that luck will rub off on them so they can get a slice of the jackpot pie.
In another popular game, the Mega Millions numbers Friday night were 11, 15, 35, 43, 49. The gold Mega Ball number was 41. One ticket each with all six numbers in the multi-state draw was sold in New Jersey and Virginia.
The chances of winning the estimated Powerball prize were astronomically high: 1 in 175.2 million. That's how many different ways you can combine the numbers when you play. But lottery officials estimate about 80 percent of those possible combinations have been purchased, so now's the time to buy.
California joined the Powerball frenzy in April and had since sold $83 million worth of tickets. That figure accounts of 11 percent of the game's sales, fueling the fast-growing mega-jackpots.
This was the largest Powerball jackpot in history, breaking the November 2012 record of $587.5 million, and the second largest of any lottery game in history.
The largest jackpot ever was a $656 million Mega Millions prize won in March 2012. The prize was split three ways with winners in Illinois, Kansas and Maryland.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
lottery, national news
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought 29 min ago
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD 23 min ago
- LA family seeks justice after deputy shooting
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail 20 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 9 min ago
- Arkansas tornadoes injure 5, damage homes
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'