Boston Marathon bombing investigation: Man shot to death while questioned
ORLANDO, Fla. (KABC) -- A man being questioned in Orlando, Fla., in the Boston Marathon bombing investigation was shot to death after authorities say he lunged at an FBI agent with a knife.
Investigators went to 27-year-old Ibragim Todashev's apartment to interview him once again about his relationship with Tamerlan Tsarnaev and his ties to a 2011 triple homicide.
During the interview, authorities say Todashev went crazy and pulled a knife, stabbing an FBI agent several times before officials shot him.
According to ABC News, Todashev was about to sign a statement admitting a role in an unsolved triple murder in Massachusetts on Sept. 11, 2011, one that Boston bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev is also a suspect in. Three men were found with their throats slit, and cash and marijuana were left on top of their bodies.
Detectives developed DNA evidence linking both Tamerlan Tsarnaev and his younger brother, Dzhokhar, to the murder scene in the wake of the Boston bombings.
Khasuen Taramov, a friend of the man killed, said Todashev and Tamerlan Tsarnaev were acquaintances through mixed martial arts in Boston.
"The older brother, he knew him back like two years ago, back in when he used to live in Boston," Taramov said. "He wasn't like real close friends with him. He just happened to know him, and I guess that was his fault, mistake."
FBI agents and Massachusetts state police began to question Todashev after his name and number were recovered from Tamerlan Tsarnaev's phone. After questioning, investigators found connections to the gruesome murder, but do not believe Todashev was tied to the bombings.
ABC News has learned Todashev was a permanent resident in the U.S. with a Russian passport.
The FBI agent who was stabbed is expected to be fine; the injuries were not life-threatening. An FBI team was dispatched from Washington to review the shooting, a standard step in such cases.
ABC News and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
explosion, boston marathon bombing, arrest, homicide investigation, murder, national news, christina salvo
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Malaysia air force: Jet may have turned back
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP 2 min ago
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley 51 min ago
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- 5-alarm fire burns at San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
32 min ago