Powerball jackpot $590M winner is 84-year-old Florida woman
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (KABC) -- The winner of last month's massive $590 million Powerball jackpot is an 85-year-old woman from Zephyrhills, Fla.
Lottery officials made the announcement Wednesday after Gloria Mackenzie came forward to claim the prize. She is taking the single lump-sum payment, which amounts to about $370.9 million before taxes.
Officials say Mackenzie is the largest sole lottery winner in U.S. history. She did not speak to reporters outside lottery headquarters. She left with family members in a silver Ford Focus.
The lucky ticket was sold at a Publix supermarket in Zephyrhills, a town of about 13,300 people located 30 miles northeast of Tampa.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
lottery, national news
- Southern California heat expected to die down
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- 2 Chile earthquakes shake Pacific shoreline
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians