Powerball jackpot $590M winner is 84-year-old Florida woman
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (KABC) -- The winner of last month's massive $590 million Powerball jackpot is an 85-year-old woman from Zephyrhills, Fla.
Lottery officials made the announcement Wednesday after Gloria Mackenzie came forward to claim the prize. She is taking the single lump-sum payment, which amounts to about $370.9 million before taxes.
Officials say Mackenzie is the largest sole lottery winner in U.S. history. She did not speak to reporters outside lottery headquarters. She left with family members in a silver Ford Focus.
The lucky ticket was sold at a Publix supermarket in Zephyrhills, a town of about 13,300 people located 30 miles northeast of Tampa.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
lottery, national news
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous'
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood
- Compton big rig crash leaves woman dead 23 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
4 min ago