Powerball jackpot $590M winner is 84-year-old Florida woman
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (KABC) -- The winner of last month's massive $590 million Powerball jackpot is an 85-year-old woman from Zephyrhills, Fla.
Lottery officials made the announcement Wednesday after Gloria Mackenzie came forward to claim the prize. She is taking the single lump-sum payment, which amounts to about $370.9 million before taxes.
Officials say Mackenzie is the largest sole lottery winner in U.S. history. She did not speak to reporters outside lottery headquarters. She left with family members in a silver Ford Focus.
The lucky ticket was sold at a Publix supermarket in Zephyrhills, a town of about 13,300 people located 30 miles northeast of Tampa.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
lottery, national news
- Secret Service probe Target security breach 8 min ago
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash 43 min ago
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes
- Harvard student admits to hoax to avoid final
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 films to be preserved
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds
- 'Functional fitness' takes dysfunctional turn
19 min ago