Ohio air show resumes after stuntwoman, pilot die in fiery crash
CINCINNATI (KABC) -- An air show near Dayton, Ohio reopened with a moment of silence Sunday, a day after a pilot and wing walker died in a fiery crash.
The Vectren Air Show, which closed right after Saturday's horrifying crash, resumed in honor of pilot Charlie Schwenker and veteran stuntwoman Jane Wicker, both of Virginia.
Wicker was performing one of her signature stunts, sitting on the wing of the plane as it turned upside down. Thousands were watching the biplane as it glided through the sky then rolled over, crashed and exploded into flames. No one else was hurt.
A spectator who also happens to be a licensed pilot, credits Schwenker for steering clear of spectators and potentially saving lives.
At a Sunday news conference, National Transportation Safety Board investigator Jason Aguilera said there were no records of radio communications or distress calls in the crash. Aguilera said as the investigation continues, the NTSB will look into many aspects involved in the incident, including the pilot's flight and medical history and training. They will also inspect the wind, temperature and other environmental factors.
Aguilera said it will likely take six months to a year for the finalized report to come out, after which the NTSB will issue the probable cause for the crash.
Wicker's website says she responded to a classified ad from the Flying Circus Airshow in Bealeton, Va., in 1990, for a wing-walking position, thinking it would be fun. She was a contract employee who worked as a Federal Aviation Administration budget analyst, the FAA said.
The Associated Press and ABC News contributed to this report.
plane crash, national news
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, man shot 10 min ago
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 15 min ago
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident 43 min ago
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- Suspect injured in El Monte police shooting
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela 15 min ago
- McDonald's accidentally gives cash to couple
- Bob Dylan's guitar sells for nearly $1M
- Billy Joel to perform at the Hollywood Bowl
- OTRC: 'Scandal' season 3 will have 18 episodes