Aaron Hernandez investigated in 2 more murders
BOSTON (KABC) -- Aaron Hernandez is being investigated in connection to an unsolved shooting in Boston that left two men dead last year, according to ABC News.
On July 15, 2012, a drive-by erupted in Boston's South End hours after Hernandez was witnessed in a nightclub altercation. Three people were shot, and two of them were pronounced dead at the scene. The fatal victims were identified as Daniel Jorge Correia de Abreu, 29, and Safiro Teixeira Furtado, 28, both of Dorchester, Mass.
It was unclear why Boston police were investigating Hernandez, 23, for last year's shooting.
The news comes a day after Hernandez was charged with murder and five other gun-related charges. A second man, Carlos Ortiz of Bristol, Conn., was arrested on a single illegal weapons-possession charge. He waived extradition to Massachusetts.
Semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd, 27, was found dead nine days earlier in an industrial park near Hernandez's North Attleborough home. Shortly after news of Hernandez's arrest, the Patriots announced that they released him. The 2011 Pro Bowl selection had signed a five-year contract last summer with the Patriots worth $40 million.
Hernandez's attorney, Michael Fee, called the case circumstantial during a Wednesday court hearing, urging the judge to disregard his client's celebrity status and release him on bail. Hernandez stood impassively with his hands cuffed in front of him as Bristol County Assistant District Attorney Bill McCauley laid out a detailed timeline of the events, cobbled together from sources including witnesses, surveillance video, text messages and data from cellphone towers.
Lloyd had known Hernandez for about a year and was dating the sister of Hernandez's fiancee, the mother of Hernandez's 8-month-old baby, McCauley said.
On June 14, Lloyd went with Hernandez to the Boston nightclub Rumor. McCauley said Hernandez was upset Lloyd had talked to people there with whom Hernandez had trouble. Two days later, McCauley said, Hernandez texted two unidentified friends and asked them to hurry to Massachusetts from Connecticut. A few minutes after the first message to his friends, Hernandez texted Lloyd to tell him he wanted to get together, McCauley said.
Later, surveillance footage from Hernandez's home showed his friends arrive and go inside. Hernandez, holding a gun, then told someone in the house he was upset and couldn't trust anyone anymore. At 1:12 a.m. June 17, the three left in Hernandez's rented silver Nissan Altima, McCauley said. Cell towers tracked their movements to a gas station off the highway, and there, he said, Hernandez bought blue Bubblicious gum.
At 2:32 a.m., they arrived outside Lloyd's home in Boston. McCauley said Lloyd's sister saw him get into Hernandez's car. As they drove back toward North Attleborough, Hernandez told Lloyd he was upset about what happened at the club and didn't trust him, McCauley said.
Surveillance video showed the car entering the industrial park and at 3:23 a.m. driving down a gravel road near where Lloyd's body was found. Four minutes later, McCauley said, the car emerged. During that period, employees working an overnight shift nearby heard several gunshots, McCauley said.
Prosecutors said Lloyd was killed in an execution-style shooting. He was shot multiple times, including twice from above as he was lying on the ground. Lloyd sent a series of texts to his sister moments before his death, according to prosecutors.
"Did you see who I was with?" said the first, at 3:07 a.m. "Who?" she finally replied.
"NFL," he texted back, then added: "Just so you know."
The afternoon of June 17, the prosecutor said, Hernandez returned the rental car, offering the attendant a piece of blue Bubblicious gum when he dropped it off. While cleaning the car, the attendant found a piece of blue Bubblicious gum and a shell casing, which he threw away. Police later searched the trash bin and found the gum and the casing. The prosecutor said it was tested and matched the casings found where Lloyd was killed.
The judge ordered Hernandez held without bail. He appeared at a bail review hearing Thursday afternoon in Fall River, where he was again denied bail.
ABC News and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
homicide investigation, national news
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- 3 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors