Ricin case: Grand jury indicts Texas woman on 3 counts
TYLER, Texas (KABC) -- A grand jury has indicted a Texas woman on three counts of allegedly sending letters containing ricin to President Barack Obama and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
Shannon Richardson, 35, was named in a three-count indictment by a federal grand jury Thursday. Richardson is charged with threatening the president and mailing threatening letters to Bloomberg and Bloomberg's top gun control advocate Mark Glaze.
The letter to Mr. Obama was intercepted by a White House mail screening facility in late May. The letters to Bloomberg and Glaze were sent around that same time. The Secret Service confirmed the apparent link among the letters.
The letters did not harm any of the intended recipients, but three emergency responders who examined one of the letters did experience minor symptoms.
Richardson was arrested in Mt. Pleasant, Texas, June 7. Richardson reportedly told FBI agents her husband had sent the letters, but officials questioned her credibility after interviewing her. John Delk, who represents her husband, Nathaniel Richardson, says they believe she was trying to set him up. Nathaniel had recently filed for divorce.
If convicted, Richardson faces up to five years in prison on each charge.
Richardson has had minor roles in TV series, including "The Walking Dead" and "The Vampire Diaries." Shannon has five children ranging in age from 4 to 19 from other relationships and is pregnant with a child by Nathaniel.
The Associated Press and ABC News contributed to this report.
new york, national news
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour