German magazine reports US bugged EU offices
BERLIN (KABC) -- German magazine Der Spiegel reported Sunday that U.S. spies allegedly bugged European Union offices.
The weekly news magazine said the U.S. National Security Agency carried out the surveillance. Martin Schulz, president of the European Parliament, said he was "deeply worried and shocked about the allegations of U.S. authorities spying on EU offices."
Schulz said that if the allegations were confirmed "it would be an extremely serious matter which will have a severe impact on EU-US relations."
The U.S. government has defended its efforts to intercept electronic communications overseas by arguing that this has helped prevent terror attacks at home and abroad.
Parliament officials want an immediate investigation into the claims, and suggested that recently launched negotiations on a trans-Atlantic trade treaty should be put on hold.
Der Spiegel didn't publish the alleged NSA documents it cited nor say how it obtained access to them. But one of the report's authors is Laura Poitras, an award-winning documentary filmmaker who interviewed Edward Snowden while he was holed up in Hong Kong.
The U.S. is seeking Snowden's extradition after he leaked documents to the Guardian that revealed the NSA's surveillance program. Ecuador President Rafael Correa said Sunday Snowden is "under the care of the Russian authorities" and can't leave Moscow's international airport without his U.S. passport.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
security, technology, national news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 32 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43 37 min ago
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role