German magazine reports US bugged EU offices
BERLIN (KABC) -- German magazine Der Spiegel reported Sunday that U.S. spies allegedly bugged European Union offices.
The weekly news magazine said the U.S. National Security Agency carried out the surveillance. Martin Schulz, president of the European Parliament, said he was "deeply worried and shocked about the allegations of U.S. authorities spying on EU offices."
Schulz said that if the allegations were confirmed "it would be an extremely serious matter which will have a severe impact on EU-US relations."
The U.S. government has defended its efforts to intercept electronic communications overseas by arguing that this has helped prevent terror attacks at home and abroad.
Parliament officials want an immediate investigation into the claims, and suggested that recently launched negotiations on a trans-Atlantic trade treaty should be put on hold.
Der Spiegel didn't publish the alleged NSA documents it cited nor say how it obtained access to them. But one of the report's authors is Laura Poitras, an award-winning documentary filmmaker who interviewed Edward Snowden while he was holed up in Hong Kong.
The U.S. is seeking Snowden's extradition after he leaked documents to the Guardian that revealed the NSA's surveillance program. Ecuador President Rafael Correa said Sunday Snowden is "under the care of the Russian authorities" and can't leave Moscow's international airport without his U.S. passport.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
security, technology, national news
- Authorities investigate body found in Laguna Hills
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital
- Mega Millions jackpot may exceed $400 million
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park 31 min ago
- 24 students arrested in school drug ring case 39 min ago
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- 3 Simi Valley schools face possible shutdown
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Newtown priest speaks out on shooting
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
35 min ago