Trayvon Martin parents speak out for first time since Zimmerman verdict
NEW YORK (KABC) -- The parents of Trayvon Martin spoke out Thursday for the first time since George Zimmerman was acquitted in the death of their son.
Sabrina Fulton and Tracy Martin sat down with "Good Morning America" anchor George Stephanopoulos. They say they are having a hard time understanding the not-guilty verdict.
"My first thought was shock, disgust. I really didn't believe that he was not guilty," Fulton said.
The verdict from the all-female jury sparked demonstrations across the country, and more protests are planned for this weekend. Zimmerman has gone into hiding since the verdict.
"I just wish that they had an opportunity to really know who Trayvon was and to put that in context of what their decision was," Tracy Martin said. "They didn't know him as a human being, a very decent human being, a fun-loving kid. He loved kids."
One of the jurors who has spoken out indicated that Trayvon Martin played a role in his death and that he could have walked away from Zimmerman. His mother was quick to point out that her son was just a kid.
"I think people (are) forgetting that Trayvon was a teenager, so he probably thought as a teenager. I really do believe he was afraid because he did call George Zimmerman creepy," Fulton said.
An alternate juror told a local Florida television station that he agreed with the not-guilty verdict, and that Zimmerman's injuries were the most compelling evidence presented in the case.
national news, john gregory
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Stage collapse reported at Servite High School
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video