Bradley Manning says he wants to live as a woman
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Bradley Manning says he plans to live as a woman, a day after the soldier was sentenced to 35 years in prison for leaking classified government data to WikiLeaks.
In a written statement provided to NBC's "Today" show on Thursday morning, Manning said he will begin hormone therapy and live as a woman named Chelsea.
A military judge announced Manning's sentence on Wednesday. Manning's struggle with gender identity disorder - his sense that he was a man trapped in a woman's body - was a key part of his defense.
Attorneys had presented evidence of Manning's struggle with gender identity, including a photo of the soldier in a blond wig and lipstick that he sent to a therapist.
It's unclear how Manning will get hormone therapy at Fort Leavenworth, because the military doesn't allow that type of treatment or transgender individuals in the military.
A Pentagon spokesperson told ABC News on Thursday that military ruled do not allow for transgender individuals to serve in the military, so hormone therapy and sexual reassignment surgery aren't possible.
On "Today," Manning's attorney David Coombs said he hopes that Fort Leavenworth "would do the right thing and provide" the hormone treatments. If not, Combs said he would do everything in his power to force them to provide the treatments.
The Associated Press and ABC News contributed to this report.
u.s. military, court case, legal, national news
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP 35 min ago
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement 29 min ago
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes 25 min ago
- LAPD officers to wear body cameras downtown 53 min ago
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- 3-yr-old recovering after 5-organ transplant
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present