Aaron Hernandez case: Ex-Patriot indicted on murder charge
FALL RIVER, Mass. (KABC) -- Former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez has been indicted on a first-degree murder charge in the death of a semi-pro football player.
The Massachusetts grand jury returned the indictment on Thursday, charging Hernandez with the killing of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd, who was dating the sister of Hernandez's girlfriend.
Hernandez pleaded not guilty to murder and weapons charges in June. He is being held in jail without bail.
He had a brief court appearance in Attleboro on Thursday afternoon. Afterward, his attorney Michael Fee said the defense was pleased to be on a path to a jury trial and was looking forward to testing the prosecution's evidence.
Prosecutors say Hernandez orchestrated Lloyd's killing because he had talked to people Hernandez had problems with at a nightclub. However, Hernandez's lawyers say the case against him is circumstantial and they're confident he will clear his name. He's being held in jail without bail.
"There has been an incredible rush to judgment in this case," and the state doesn't have enough evidence to prove the charges, said attorney Michael Fee.
Hernandez could face life in prison if convicted.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
homicide investigation, national news
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 42 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis