Aaron Hernandez case: Ex-Patriot indicted on murder charge
FALL RIVER, Mass. (KABC) -- Former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez has been indicted on a first-degree murder charge in the death of a semi-pro football player.
The Massachusetts grand jury returned the indictment on Thursday, charging Hernandez with the killing of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd, who was dating the sister of Hernandez's girlfriend.
Hernandez pleaded not guilty to murder and weapons charges in June. He is being held in jail without bail.
He had a brief court appearance in Attleboro on Thursday afternoon. Afterward, his attorney Michael Fee said the defense was pleased to be on a path to a jury trial and was looking forward to testing the prosecution's evidence.
Prosecutors say Hernandez orchestrated Lloyd's killing because he had talked to people Hernandez had problems with at a nightclub. However, Hernandez's lawyers say the case against him is circumstantial and they're confident he will clear his name. He's being held in jail without bail.
"There has been an incredible rush to judgment in this case," and the state doesn't have enough evidence to prove the charges, said attorney Michael Fee.
Hernandez could face life in prison if convicted.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
homicide investigation, national news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks 4 min ago
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash 51 min ago
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role