Aaron Hernandez case: Ex-Patriot indicted on murder charge
FALL RIVER, Mass. (KABC) -- Former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez has been indicted on a first-degree murder charge in the death of a semi-pro football player.
The Massachusetts grand jury returned the indictment on Thursday, charging Hernandez with the killing of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd, who was dating the sister of Hernandez's girlfriend.
Hernandez pleaded not guilty to murder and weapons charges in June. He is being held in jail without bail.
He had a brief court appearance in Attleboro on Thursday afternoon. Afterward, his attorney Michael Fee said the defense was pleased to be on a path to a jury trial and was looking forward to testing the prosecution's evidence.
Prosecutors say Hernandez orchestrated Lloyd's killing because he had talked to people Hernandez had problems with at a nightclub. However, Hernandez's lawyers say the case against him is circumstantial and they're confident he will clear his name. He's being held in jail without bail.
"There has been an incredible rush to judgment in this case," and the state doesn't have enough evidence to prove the charges, said attorney Michael Fee.
Hernandez could face life in prison if convicted.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
homicide investigation, national news
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Stage collapse reported at Servite High School
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video