Houston school stabbing: Student charged with murder
HOUSTON (KABC) -- One student was killed and three others were injured in a stabbing at a Houston high school on Wednesday.
Three persons of interest were taken into custody, police said. Hours later, authorities said a 17-year-old male student was the lone suspect.
According to ABC News Houston affiliate KTRK-TV, the suspect, identified as Luis Alonzo Alfaro, was charged with murder.
A 17-year-old male student was killed in the fight. KTRK-TV reports that friends and family identified the victim as Joshua Broussard.
The stabbing stemmed from an altercation shortly after 7 a.m. local time at Spring High School, located in northern Houston. Police believe an argument escalated into a physical fight, and a weapon was used. Investigators have yet to recover the weapon, which was only described as a "cutting instrument."
The three wounded victims have been hospitalized. Two were reported to be in stable condition, and one was in surgery, said Harris County Sheriff Adrian Garcia.
Garcia said the fight may have been gang related, reported KTRK-TV.
In a news release sent to the media, the sheriff's department said there was no immediate danger on campus. However, investigators are continuing their search for the weapon.
Authorities asked anyone with information about the fight or the whereabouts of the weapon to contact the sheriff's office.
School district officials have canceled classes at the high school for the rest of the week.
ABC News and KTRK-TV contributed to this report.
school, stabbing, national news
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang 7 min ago
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Robo-seal pups help patients fight dementia
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- Disney gains rights to 'Indiana Jones' films 16 min ago
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees 30 min ago