SUV gang assault: Undercover NYPD officer in custody
NEW YORK (KABC) -- An undercover NYPD officer involved in the violent confrontation between a group of motorcyclists and an SUV driver has been taken into custody.
Police spokesman John McCarthy confirmed Wojciech Braszczok surrendered Tuesday to face riot and criminal mischief charges.
New video evidence shows the officer actively involved in the Sept. 29 incident that ended with one motorcyclist run over and the SUV driver dragged from his car and beaten on a city street. Part of the confrontation was caught on camera.
The undercover detective had reported being with the group, but said he had only witnessed the attack. But sources say the detective can be seen punching the rear window of the SUV, throwing a kick at the passenger door and then speeding off on his bike.
Police internal affairs investigators have been looking into the undercover detective's conduct because he didn't report that he witnessed the confrontation until three days later.
Sources tell WABC-TV that a second detective is also believed to have been among the riders, but not present for the attack. That detective is already on modified duty after being arrested in August during a domestic dispute at an intersection in Queens.
In the meantime, Craig Wright, the fourth biker charged in the case, was arraigned Tuesday on gang assault and other charges. Prosecutors allege the 29-year-old punched the driver of the Range Rover, Alexian Lien, through the window of the SUV and then kicked him while he was on the ground.
Wright pleaded not guilty. A judge set his bail at $100,000, and he is due back in court on Oct. 11.
The other three bikers charged in the case include Christopher Cruz, accused of starting the attack by slowing down in front of the SUV; Robert Sims, who allegedly grabbed the SUV's door in the video; and Reginald Chance, who allegedly used his helmet to smash the SUV's side window.
The Associated Press and ABC News contributed to this report.
caught on tape, new york, national news
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back 20 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 9 min ago
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video