Ariel Castro may have died during auto-erotic asphyxiation
COLUMBUS, Ohio (KABC) -- A new report suggests that it's possible that Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro died during auto-erotic asphyxiation, not suicide.
According to a report from the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction, the 53-year-old Castro was found with his pants and underwear pulled down to his ankles.
"Castro left no suicide note and had previously shown no suicidal ideations in multiple levels of assessment," the report stated.
The state forwarded those facts to police to consider the possibility of auto-erotic asphyxiation, whereby individuals achieve sexual satisfaction by briefly choking themselves into unconsciousness.
It was also revealed in the report that prison guards failed to check on Castro in the hours before he killed himself on Sept. 3 and falsified observation logs.
Castro was only a few weeks into a life sentence after pleading guilty in August to kidnapping three women from the streets of Cleveland, then imprisoning them in his home for a decade. He repeatedly raped and beat them, limiting their access to food and toilet facilities and chaining them at times to a pole in the basement. Rescued with the three women in May was a 6-year-old girl Castro fathered with one of the victims.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Stage collapse reported at Servite High School
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video