Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, speaks at a rally in front of the WWII Memorial Sunday, Oct. 13, 2013 in Washington as Senate leaders have taken the helm in the search for a deal to end the partial government shutdown and avert a federal default. The memorial has been closed due to the government shutdown. (AP Photo / Alex Brandon)
WASHINGTON -- A crowd converged on the World War II Memorial on the National Mall, pushing through barriers Sunday morning to protest the memorial's closing under the government shutdown.
Republican Sen. Mike Lee of Utah and Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas were among those who gathered Sunday morning, along with former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, according to WTOP Radio (http://bit.ly/GXQKGV ). Cruz said President Barack Obama is using veterans as pawns in the shutdown.
"Tear down these walls," the crowd chanted. Protesters also sang "God bless America" and other patriotic songs as they entered the memorial plaza.
"This is the people's memorial," Palin told the crowd. "Our veterans should be above politics."
The memorial has become a political symbol in the bitter fight between Democrats and Republicans over who is at fault since the shutdown began. Earlier rallies have focused on allowing access for World War II veterans visiting from across the country with the Honor Flight Network.
Sunday's rally was more political. A protest by truckers converged with a rally by a group called the Million Vet March at the World War II Memorial. Participants cut the links between metal barriers at the National Park Service site and pushed them aside.
Later some protesters carried barricades to the White House and rallied outside the gates, confronting police in riot gear. Protesters carried one sign reading "Impeach Obama."
District of Columbia police said the crowd was starting to disperse by 1 p.m. U.S. Park Police said there had been at least one arrest at the Lincoln Memorial, though no details were available.
Jeff Thompkins of New York told WRC-TV (http://bit.ly/169jTp4 ) he went to the World War II Memorial because people fought and died for the freedom to visit public spaces.
"Our constitutional rights are being taken away," Thompkins said. "People made the ultimate sacrifice, and they should be open to the public, open to everyone to come down here and see this. This is ridiculous. This is not just and not fair. It's just not fair."
republican party, democratic party, president barack obama, budget, national news
- Senate votes to avoid default, open government 43 min ago
- Dodgers beat Cardinals 6-4 in NLCS Game 5
- LAX dry ice bombs set off for amusement -LAPD 4 min ago
- Burbank cop accused of extorting gf's husband
- OC swim instructor sentenced for sex with teens
- Venice suspect says rampage was accident
- LAUSD superintendent wants iPad plan delayed
- Santa Ana winds sweeping through Southland
- BART trains running, strike averted again
- abcnews: Mom dies day after seeing daughters marry
- Wounded soldier's salute touches thousands
- Philippine quake kills at least 144 people
- Hall and Oates among Rock Hall of Fame noms
- OTRC: Mike Myers, wife Kelly expecting second child
-
Most Popular
-
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc7.com home
- Site Map
- RSS
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help
- ABC.com
- ABCNews.com
- Privacy Policy
- Interest-Based Ads
- Safety Information for this site
- Terms of Use
- Copyright ©2013 ABC Inc., KABC-TV/DT Los Angeles, CA. All Rights Reserved.





