Jofi Joseph, White House aide, fired over Twitter account
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- A White House national security official has been fired for running a Twitter account that criticized the Obama Administration.
Jofi Joseph is no longer working for the administration, a White House official confirmed. That official would not comment further on personnel matters.
Joseph took full responsibility for the Twitter account in a statement to Politico. He said it started as a "parody account" and apologized to those he insulted.
The postings on the NatSecWonk account, which is no longer available on Twitter, often took aim at administration policy and figures, including Secretary of State John Kerry and Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel, along with members of Congress.
One tweet said: "More people should be asking why John Kerry installed two former aides, both with ZERO foreign policy experience, into top posts at State."
Another tweet said: "That Obama only called Kerry/Hagel AFTER he made decision with his WH aides on going to Hill underscores how all foreign policy is WH-based." The tweet referred to Obama's surprise decision in late August to seek congressional authorization for military strikes against Syria as punishment for a chemical weapons attack in August.
Joseph began working at the State Department in 2009. Deputy State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said he was assigned to the National Security Council in 2011 and became an NSC employee last August.
White House spokesman Jay Carney said White House staffers cannot access social media sites like Twitter from the White House unless they have an official, authorized account. Carney and many other senior administration officials have official Twitter accounts and often send many tweets a day.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
firing, twitter, national news
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service 49 min ago
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- Ex-assemblyman arrested for domestic violence 15 min ago
- Flasher sought for exposing self at Brea Mall
- LA sheriff candidates faceoff in 1st debate
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area
- Ex-Manson follower granted parole for 3rd time
- Malaysia plane search widens toward India
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Elderly couple's dog saved by rescue group
- OTRC: Elizabeth Olsen engaged, report says