Mom of fallen firefighter Grant McKee files lawsuit
COSTA MESA, Calif. (KABC) -- The mother of one of the 19 firefighters killed in a forest fire inferno in Arizona is suing state and local officials.
Listening to her son's last voicemail from the fire lines is a daily ritual for Marcia McKee. Her son, 21-year-old Grant McKee, died along with 18 other members of the Granite Mountain Hotshot team while battling a massive blaze in Arizona earlier this year.
"Grant was my world. I would feel better if I knew what really went wrong...because that's all I think about from the time I open my eyes to the time I shut them, how he had to suffer," said McKee.
McKee has filed a $36-million wrongful death claim against the state, county and city, alleging a list of violations, including the team having no backup, no escape route and no one knowing where they were located.
"If you really sit down and look at everything, there are a lot of mistakes and nobody is being blamed," said McKee.
She says if her son and the other hotshots had GPS locators, this tragedy could have been prevented. She says she has promised her son she would find out what went wrong. She says the claim has nothing to do with the money.
"I want answers, and I want changes. I don't want this happening to 19 other firefighters. It shouldn't have happened," said McKee.
According to the claim, McKee is willing to settle within the next 60 days for $12 million. So far, there has been no comment from those named in the legal action.
fire, national news, leanne suter
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic 23 min ago
- $20K reward offered in unsolved Compton murder 10 min ago
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house 15 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Claremont sexual predator charged with felonies
- Suspicious bag found on the tarmac at LAX
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors