7-year-old saves mom's life with Heimlich maneuver
PORTLAND (KABC) -- A 7-year-old girl saved her mom's life with a maneuver she says she remembered from the movie 'Mrs. Doubtfire'.
Amira Fortin was lying on the couch watching TV when she heard a strange noise coming from the kitchen.
She immediately ran to the kitchen and found her mom, Jennifer, choking on a piece of sausage.
The 7-year-old said she knew she had to perform the Heimlich maneuver to save her mother's life, so she sprung into action.
"I picked her up three times," said Amira. "She spit the sausage out."
Amira says her grandfather taught her the life-saving technique but she also remembered it from the movie "Mrs. Doubtfire," starring Robin Williams.
unbelievable, national news
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal 12 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Target photo flap creates thigh gap 23 min ago
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Selena Gomez films Adidas ads (Photos)
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
27 min ago