Young football group sickened in Las Vegas
LAS VEGAS (KABC) -- A group of young Southern California football players got a health scare while at a tournament in Las Vegas.
Ambulances lined up outside the Rio Hotel and Casino on Friday after more than a dozen children, coaches and parents became sick with flu-like symptoms, possibly food poisoning.
Among those sickened were members of the Santa Monica Vikings Tiny Mites. Thirteen children, ages 7 to 12, and five adults were transported to hospitals.
Officials say it may have been a norovirus that caused the outbreak. Flu-like symptoms of vomiting are consistent with cases of norovirus.
Tournament spokesman Justin Gates said that at least nine of the 100 teams participating in the National Youth Football Championships were affected.
The Santa Monica Vikings Tiny Mites won the national championship.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully 22 min ago
- S. Korean ferry's slow evacuation probed 15 min ago
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 30 min ago
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Griffith Park mountain lion exposed to poison
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12 1 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)