Mega Millions numbers announced: $425 million jackpot
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The winning Mega Millions lottery numbers were announced Friday night as the jackpot reached $425 million.
The winning numbers are 27-26-24-19-70, Mega Ball 12.
Paula Otto, the Virginia Lottery's executive director and Mega Millions' lead director, said sales were 40 percent ahead of projections, prompting the game to boost the jackpot for the Friday drawing, which went ahead at 11 p.m. ET.
In New York state, tickets were selling at a pace of $500,000 an hour Friday morning. The state's lottery spokeswoman, Christy Calicchia said sales are normally between $60,000 and $70,000 an hour.
The jumbo jackpots are exactly what the operators of the multi-state lottery want. In an effort to compete with the massive Powerball jackpots, the people behind Mega Millions changed the game.
Instead of picking numbers between 1 and 56, players now pick numbers between 1 and 75. Another change: the gold Mega Millions ball was between 1 and 46. Now, players choose a number between 1 and 15.
The idea behind the changes is to increase the chances of rolling over jackpots and luring players who only play when the jackpots get huge, and it seems to be working.
"I had some spare change. I rarely play, but I think when it gets up above something big like $400 million, I might as well give it a try," said Dean Wood, from Highland Park.
The winning ticket must match the six numbers drawn. The odds of that are about 1 in 259,000,000. The last time someone won the jackpot was Oct. 1, which was before the game changes were implemented.
Mega Millions is played in 43 states, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
lottery, national news
- 292 missing, 4 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster 55 min ago
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Boston bombing anniversary disrupted by hoax
- Victim's mother faces murder suspects in court
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- San Pedro Elks Lodge fire may be suspicious
- Murrieta suspect fixated on girls' socks
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- First women move into Army combat jobs
- abcnews: Conjoined twins leave Dallas hospital
- Photos: Boston Marathon bombing - 1 year later
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Ice Cube clarifies Paul Walker comments