Mega Millions jackpot: Winning tickets sold in San Jose, Atlanta
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Mega Millions lottery numbers were drawn Tuesday night, and winning tickets were sold in San Jose and Atlanta.
The winning numbers on Tuesday night were: 8, 14, 17, 20, 39; Mega Ball: 7. The jackpot reached $636 million, with the cash option estimated at $341 million before taxes.
ABC News confirmed a winning Mega Millions ticket was sold in California. That ticket was bought at Jennifer's Gift Shop on Tully Road in San Jose.
Georgia officials confirmed a winning ticket was also sold at Gateway Newstand in Atlanta, according to ABC News.
It's still not clear who the holders of the tickets are, and it's also unknown if individuals bought the tickets or if they were bought in a pool.
The store owners also get a piece of the prize too - about $1.5 million. Also, about 20 people won $1 million in the latest drawing.
For a brief moment, there was some confusion over the outcome of Tuesday night's drawing.
The Mega Millions website actually showed there was no winner for a few minutes and indicated the jackpot for Friday would be $950 million. The mistake was corrected quickly.
Mega Millions changed its rules in October to help increase the jackpots by lowering the odds of winning the top prize. That means the chances of winning the jackpot are now about 1 in 259 million.
No ticket matched the six numbers needed to win last Friday's $425 million prize.
The largest Mega Millions jackpot was set in March 2012 at $656 million and was split by three winning tickets in Maryland, Illinois and Kansas.
lottery, national news
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 14 min ago
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours 25 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- 2 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 21 min ago
- Yucaipa woman arrested in husband's murder 17 min ago
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 18 min ago
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq 37 min ago
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks