Barbara Bush remains hospitalized, 'doing great'
HOUSTON (KABC) -- Former first lady Barbara Bush remains hospitalized at a Houston hospital, but she's "doing great and responding well," a family spokesperson said.
Barbara Bush, wife of former President George H.W. Bush, was hospitalized Monday for a respiratory-related issue at Methodist Hospital.
While there was no timetable for her release, family spokesman Jim McGrath said, "we're hopeful that will take place sooner than later."
McGrath said doctors may exercising extra caution by keeping her at the hospital.
"She is 88," he said. "She is a national treasure."
The mother of former President George W. Bush is 88 years old. She had heart surgery in March 2009 for a severe narrowing of the main heart valve. She also was hospitalized in November 2008 for a perforated ulcer. In 2010, she was admitted to the hospital after having a mild relapse of Graves disease, a thyroid condition for which she was treated in 1989.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
health, national news
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide 7 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- 'Octomom' pleads not guilty to 4th charge 33 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed 27 min ago
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Taylor Swift: Billboard's No. 1 money maker