New Mexico school shooting: Suspect arrested; 2 kids shot
ROSWELL, N.M. (KABC) -- A 12-year-old student at a middle school in Roswell, N.M., walked into the school gym with a shotgun and opened fire, wounding two classmates.
The shooting happened as classes were starting for the day. A statement from the state police said authorities responded at 8:11 a.m.
Odiee Carranza, an eighth grade student, told the Associated Press that she saw the suspect pull the gun out of a band instrument case and begin shooting. She said he shot a boy twice in the face and a girl in the arm.
According to New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez, it was a teacher at Berrendo Middle School who pleaded with the suspect to put the gun down. The seventh grader complied and was soon taken into custody. His name has not been released.
Martinez said an 11-year-old male victim had undergone surgery but was still in critical condition. Information from nurses treating the boy at University Medical Center in Lubbock, Texas, indicates he was the shooter's target, hospital spokesman Eric Finley said.
A 13-year-old female victim remained in serious condition Tuesday afternoon. A staff member received very minor injuries and declined medical care because he wanted to stay and help.
Two prayer services were scheduled for Tuesday night at Roswell's Calvary Baptist and First Baptist churches.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, national news
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa. 57 min ago
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Inmate escapes jail hours after sentencing
- Norwood pleads not guilty to weapons charge
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting 12 min ago
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors