Florida theater shooting: Wife of slain husband speaks out
TAMPA, Fla. (KABC) -- The wife of a man fatally shot in a Florida movie theater in an argument over texting spoke out at a news conference Wednesday.
Nicole Oulson cried and said her "whole world just got shattered in a million pieces." She appeared at the conference with a cast over her left arm and hand.
Nicole and Chad Oulson were attending a movie in Wesley Chapel, Fla., on January 13. Chad was texting his daughter's babysitter during the previews, and moviegoer Curtis Reeves, who was sitting behind them, objected to the texting.
Reeves got up to inform management, and an argument escalated when he returned to his seat. Chad Oulson allegedly threw popcorn in Reeves' face, and Reeves pulled a handgun from his pocket and shot Oulson in the chest. Nicole was struck in the hand. Reeves claimed he was struck in the face with an object.
Reeves, 71, a retired police officer, was arrested and charged with second-degree murder. He was held without bail. At least one other woman has come forward to say that Reeves had harassed her for texting during a different movie.
Nicole Oulson said Wednesday that she and her husband rarely had a day off to spend together.
"I was just so excited and looking forward to spending the day with the love of my life," she said. Her attorney, TJ Grimaldi, said that Oulson has an "unfortunately clear recollection of what happened that day" and that the couple's 22-month-old daughter is so young she knows only that "Daddy's gone."
Grimaldi said that he is exploring options for a civil lawsuit and that his firm's priority is to help Oulson through her grief and Reeves' criminal trial.
Reeves has said he was in fear of being attacked. Reeves' attorneys said during an initial court appearance that he "had every right to defend himself" and that he should be released on bail due to his deep ties to the community and his years as a Tampa police officer.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, murder, homicide investigation, national news
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area 52 min ago
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors