Florida theater shooting: Bail denied for retired captain
DADE CITY, Fla. (KABC) -- A judge has ordered that a 71-year-old retired Tampa police captain be held without bond for the fatal shooting of a man inside a movie theater.
Curtis Reeves is facing a second-degree murder charge for the Jan. 13 argument that escalated to him pulling out his gun and firing, killing 43-year-old Chad Oulson.
"If I had it to do over again, it would have never happened," Reeves said in a police interview played during the bond hearing, which began Wednesday. "But you don't get do-overs."
Authorities said Reeves became upset when Oulson was texting during the previews before the matinee. Oulson and his wife were sitting in front of Reeves and his wife.
On Friday, prosecutors played grainy surveillance video that appeared to show the confrontation.
According to the police interview, Reeves said Oulson hit him in the face, possibly with a cellphone, and he shot in self-defense. But other witnesses, including Reeves' wife, told authorities they never saw Oulson strike Reeves. They only saw popcorn flying at Reeves, which the video appeared to support.
Prosecutors also played a recording of a police interview with Oulson's widow, Nicole.
"He kept saying stuff to my husband," Nicole Oulson said of Reeves. "Immediately it didn't even register with me, I just saw a spark and saw him go down."
She said after the shooting, Reeves "just sat in his chair; he just kind of leaned back and just sat there, didn't try to help."
"As all the chaos was going on, he was just sitting there," she said.
Reeves has pleaded not guilty. If convicted, he could face a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years in prison.
shooting, murder, homicide investigation, national news
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Burbank stabbing leaves 2 in serious condition 23 min ago
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park 9 min ago
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio 6 min ago
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
56 min ago